Monday, July 23, 2007

Shabu-shabu!


My mom's colleague and family was so sweet to invite my mom and me to their house at Lake Forest for dinner last Wednesday night.
To my surprise, we had "shabu-shabu"~~~it's usually a winter food.

Shabu-shabu (Japanese: しゃぶしゃぶ), also spelled syabu-syabu, is a Japanese variant of hot pot. The dish is related to sukiyaki in style, where both use thinly sliced meat and vegetables, and usually served with dipping sauces. However, it is starkly different in taste; shabu-shabu is more savory and less sweet than sukiyaki. It is considered a winter dish but is eaten year-round.

It was the first time the family tried to make it, it was kind of different from the way that my family does it but all in all it tasted great! ^_^::
The sauce that was used was a mixture of a sesame oil, a nutty paste, and the green one was probably cilantro paste....not too sure. Really flavorful!


They had a lot of lamb meat (actually plate after plate after plate of it)~~~loved it!


But the best part of the meal was when they put in the hand made noodles...

stretching...


more stretching...


then all together...in the pot it goes ^^


Even though I was so full and heading towards major food coma, I had to have a bowl of the noodles (cuz I helped too~~~only the last step of stretching it out and putting it into the pot ^_^)~~~By this time the soup/broth was flavored with all the ingredients (nappa, mushrooms, spinach, lamb, etc.) it was very flavorful!

No comments: